Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Garden records

I've tried diaries, files, blank books and scraps of paper stuck in gardening reference books as garden records, but I always end up wishing for a photographic record and the text ends up being sporadic. April 2002 followed immediately by April 2007. This should be different....

....but here I am browsing old and new photos to decide how to start and I'm meandering again. I'm missing Byron and Peter after our weekend in Michigan, and I found this picture of Byron laying the brickwork for our patio three summers ago. He designed it and built most of it himself, and we love it. Bits of mazus and lots of moss grow between some of the bricks now. I know I should pull them out, and I do periodically and replenish the sand, but it pains me to do it.

More recent garden construction here: the dreadful sod project this spring. Frog Hollow Farm does make the best sod though. The grass is still weed-free and thriving in the back and along our impossible utility strip - even in the shade.

Kurt is faithful about recording progress in our garden, with a crummy little camera. I am so grateful for the photos. It's staggering when you see the contrast between winter and summer and the difference four years makes to a camellia.

I can't wait to get out with the camera tomorrow and record the progress of the daring Crocosmia Lucifer!

No comments: